Pages

Monday, June 2, 2014

6/2/14 | Senior Comp in Boynton Beach, Creole speaking....what?!

Hey Family!
This week has been amazing!!!  I got transferred on Wednesday to Boynton Beach Creole.  Yeah, funny thing is, is that I don't speak Creole.  But my new companion has been out for 7 months and is a Creole missionary so we have been practicing a lot, hopefully by the end of my time here in Boynton I'll speak Creole.  Also it is an all bike area and hurricane season started so it's really hot and humid and rains a lot.  But on the bright side, I can't bike because of my shoulder injury so they gave us a car to use, blessing in disguise!  

My new companion is Elder Slade, he is from the little town of Rye, Colorado and he is average height so we still stick out a lot and get laughed at by crazy Haitians because of the height difference.  We are polar opposites of each other but we get along great.  The best way to describe him is, you know on the Best 2 years? the new missionary that comes in with the glasses? yeah, thats my comp, I love it!

So many miracles occured this week!  First one was on Transfer day, we were walking and saw these people (2 haitian women) sitting on their porch, so we start talking to them and find that they only speak Creole, so I smile and listen as my comp prays with them.  We set a return appt and through the following days we, well, my comp has taught them the restoration, Gospel of Jesus Christ and the Law of Chastity.  And they came to Church yesterday! They want to be baptized so bad and they have been studying in the Book of Mormon daily.  They are so elect, they said that they had been attending a church for 2+ years and the church refused to baptize them until they were members for a while longer, so they left that church. A few weeks later, we come by and invite them to be baptized a week and a half later so they full-heartedly accepted.  They will be baptized this Sunday!

We have been trying to be exactly obedient this week since for the last 12 weeks I haven't been exactly obedient, so I wanted to change that.  By our efforts and by our diligence in being exactly obedient, the Lord has blessed us in so many ways.  This area exploded these past few days as weve worked really hard. Our key indicators were almost all zeros on Wednesday but by last night we hit standards on almost all of them.

 On Saturday we went to follow up with an investigator and we accidentally knocked on the wrong door.  suddenly a ton of people come out and they are super drunk and high and they start asking these super weird questions about the Mormon faith.  I was so confused, I was expecting our investigator to come out and I got these people.  So we started talking to them and they had no idea what was going on, so they grabbed the owners of the house.  They came out and talked to us and the man of the house recognized us and said he had been taught by missionaries when he was a boy and that he knew God had sent us to find him again.  He (jack) and his girlfriend (tammy) were very interested because they wanted change in their life.  They weren't able to come to church, but we taught them last night again and they are set to be baptized on the 15th! 

Also I went on Splits with the Bishop and brought up how we had played basketball every tuesday night in Jupiter with investigators and members and how it had been a very successful proselyting tool.  He said they had done it a long time ago, but that we should start it up again.  So on Saturday we spread word that we were starting bball again at the church and almost 30 people showed up to play!  It was awesome!
But that's my week in a nutshell, I love you guys and hope you have a great week!
Love,
Elder Spencer Bailey

Zone Conference pic, I'm the tall tan one in the gray suit in case you don't recognize me;)

Box inside the Temple Corner Stone, my name is inside that box on a paper we, missionaries, signed

0 comments:

Post a Comment