Pages

Monday, October 6, 2014

10/6/14 | "When your'e going through [heck], keep going!"-Winston Churchill

Dear Family!
Wow, this week put me through the ringers!  But I've come out of this past week changed and I've learned a lot, it was a miracle to watch conference at the end of this past week.  I don't know why but earlier this week I just got hit with depression and discouragement like I've never felt in my entire life.  Taking over the area plus taking over the rest of Davie was a huge test for me this past week.  When I was at my lowest I called the Zone leaders, which are 2 of my really good friends, and they gave me excellent advice! I prayed a lot and got a blessing and everything turned around from there.  It still wasn't easy but I felt the support form God until I got my feet firmly planted on the ground again.  Thankfully God helped me get through this week and the work is now continuing to go forth!

I got a new companion, his name is Elder Garrett and he's an interesting fellow. He's from Portland, Oregon and has been out for 4.5 months. It's been really hard to get to know him, it's been like trying to get to know a wall... But it'll be a good transfer!  Also at transfers they were going through the areas and I realized they didn't call out a Davie South, and I realized that we would be taking over the entire ward which covers 4 cities!  It's one of the largest areas in the mission, so this is going to be fun.  

Conference weekend was amazing! I loved the talks especially Elder Robbins talk on Saturday, it was super direct, to the point and bold. also I got to go to a different chapel for conference since where we were working was closer to the Hollywood chapel than driving all the way back up to Plantation.  So I got to be with a lot of my really good missionary friends so conference weekend was really good!

We also saw some miracles this past week.

The first miracle we saw was after I received a blessing from Elder Madson and we went out and harvested in the new area we acquired.  While harvesting we both felt great faith and determination to find someone who was willing to receive the gospel.  After knocking for quite some time we found Eric.  After we said the harvest blessing with Eric we invited him to be baptized and he said, "Yes, why not?"  I love hearing that question!  He went on to say that his family was looking for a church and he and his wife were looking to be baptized again!  So we testified that Jesus had truly sent us to him and shared a simple restoration lesson and bore testimony.  He wanted us to come back to help him and his family prepare for baptism, we will be seeing them tonight.

Another miracle was with our long-time investigator, Judith, who is still waiting to receive answers through prayer on some questions she's had.  We invited her to write down her questions and bring them to conference and we promised that God would answer her questions through the Spirit and through the words of the Prophets.  She was unable to come to the Church due to her work schedule, but she watched it from her house and recorded the sessions she missed and watched them later.  I loved how in conference they talked so much about Prophets and Joseph Smith and receiving revelation because she had huge questions on each of those points.  She texted us later and said "[conference] was very very nice. No real hard questions. Many positive comments. It was nice."  

Well, that's about all that happened this past week, it was a really trying week, but I'm glad I experienced it so that I can learn and grow.  Also with the new area came a brand new 2015 Toyota Corolla:)  There are perks to living right next to the mission office and becoming really good friends with the senior couples:)

Well I love you guys a lot and hope you have a great week!
Love,
Elder Spencer Bailey

0 comments:

Post a Comment