Pages

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

11/5/13

First off I just read Alyssa's letter and I have a couple of words for her, you're lucky! I've been living the opposite of Alyssa, our A/C broke last week for a few days so we were taking cold showers 2-3 times a day to stay cool! And when the A/C brakes it gets really humid inside, so everything we had out got moldy, it was disgusting! 
Well I have an update on the flat tire situation from last week, It turns out that the axle broke when the car fell, when the jack broke.  So we told the mission office and they were going to give us a really old car because of our mistake, then they were like, "We like you guys so we'll give you one of the new 2014 toyota corollas we just got last week."  So I guess good things can happen from stupid mistakes:)  

I can't think of anything crazy happening this last week except for the incident where I almost got hit by a semi, but that story would just scare mom so I'll save it for when I get home:)  And I went on another exchange with Elder T___ (my old comp from the MTC who is really, really short) that was adventurous!  We were harvesting in the super sketchy ghetto that day. Now when Elder T___ and I are together it's a sight to behold, we kinda stick out since he's abnormally short and I'm quite tall.  So people were constantly pointing at us and laughing, which was alright because it opened the way to a lot of conversations, since people wanted to stop and talk to us and ask why I was so tall and why Elder T___ was so short, so we found a lot of cool people that day to come back and teach.  

The Spirit is such a cool influence to have.  We were teaching one of our investigators the Restoration, and all of the sudden in the middle of the lesson, I heard "This isn't what she needs to hear, tie it into the Plan of Salvation" so I did and the lesson went so much better, at the end she said that the message we shared was exactly what she needed to hear that night!  It was awesome!

And on Sunday we were trying to meet an investigator and she wasn't home, so we were walking down the street minding our own business, when I heard someone yelling, "Is that a Bible you're holding?" I shouted back "Yes ma'am" (since thats how you answer back in the ghetto, I guess).  So i ran over to her, and gave her the Bible, she just started bawling, so I stood there awkwardly for a min while she tried to gain her composure.  Then I asked if we could pray with her and the tears started flowing again, I thought "what is wrong with this woman all I did was hand her a Bible" so we said a prayer and she gained enough composure to sort of talk, and explained how she had an "awakening" last Friday and realized that she needed to be saved by Jesus.  And then on Sunday she saw us walking holding a Bible and knew we could help her be saved.  So we committed her to baptism in 2 weeks and said that we could help her prepare!  It was a miracle!  In all honesty it was a tender mercy from God since I don't think Elder wood and I deserved it, we have been having a rocky relationship lately due to the fact that we are both kind of hard-headed, so on Sunday we were not very agreeable, but it shows how merciful God is by sending us this miracle, because after that we got along much better.

Also yesterday we had another awesome experience, we were having a family home evening with a family in the ward and they had there cousin over who is from Croatia and is not a member.  So we taught the Restoration and the cousin was super interested and said that she had seen missionaries all over Croatia for years but had never thought to talk to them before, so she will be in contact with them once she returns in a couple of days.  I also had the opportunity to give her a Priesthood blessing to help her and bless her with safety in her travels. That was a super neat experience because I had never thought that I would teach a lesson and give a blessing to a Croatian!  That was a once in a life-time experience! the Spirit was super strong and she noticed that she felt different after the blessing and the lesson, the Spirit also testified to me that we had just planted that seed of faith in her heart that will be harvested by missionaries in Croatia, and that she will be baptized some day.  So it was a great testimony builder for everyone that was there.

On Halloween last week our ward did a trunk-or-treat, and they wanted us to come to visit with non-members that would show up.  We found that the most effective way was to visit every car and get to know everyone, and by so doing we met alot of non-members who were interested and got some candy:)  It's a win-win situation:)

Well that's all the time I have for today, I love you all and wish you all the best!
Much love from the ghetto missionary,

Elder Spencer Bailey

0 comments:

Post a Comment